Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Rif Eruvin 9a {Eruvin 35a continues ... 38a}



HIDE/SHOW IMAGE
9a
{Eruvin 35a continues}
Mishna:
If it rolled outside the techum, a mound fell on it, or it was burned; if it was teruma and it became impure -- if {any of the above happened} while it was yet day {on Friday}, it is not an eruv; if once it became dark, it is an eruv. And if it is a doubt - Rabbi Meir and Rabbi Yehuda say: This is a donkey driver and a camel driver.1
Rabbi Yossi and Rabbi Shimon say: doubt of an eruv is valid.

Rabbi Yossi said:Rabbi Zecharia ben Avtulos testified in the name of five elders that in case of doubt an eruv is valid.

Gemara:
Rava said: They only said this where the eruv rolled outside 4 cubits, but if within 4 cubits, one who places down his eruv has 4 cubits.

Mishna:
A person may stipulate regarding his eruv and say: "If Gentiles came from the east, my eruv is to the west; from the west my eruv is to the east; if they came from here and from here, to the place that I want I will go; if they came neither from here nor from here, then I am like the inhabitants of my city."
"If a Sage came from the east, my eruv is to the east; from the west my eruv is to the west; if he came here and here, to the place that I want I will go; neither here nor here, then I am like the inhabitants of my city."
Rabbi Yehuda says: If one of them was his teacher, he walks to his teacher; If both are his teachers, he walks to whichever of them he wants.

Gemara:
And the Sages hold that there are time that a man would prefer to be in the company of his colleague rather than that of his teacher.

{Eruvin 38a}
Mishna:
Rabbi Eliezer says: If a Yom Tov is next to Shabbat, whether before it or after it, a man may make two eruvs {of techum} and say: My first eruv is to the east and my second is to the west; my first is to the west and my second is to the east; I make the eruv only for the first day and the second I am like the inhabitants of my city; I make the eruv only for the second day, and on the first day



Footnotes:
1: With the donkey in front and the camel behind, such that either way he tries to go he will be tugged back.

No comments: